We are seeking a VP of Engineering for Affectiva’s software product engineering team. This position is an opportunity to bring Affectiva’s market defining Emotion AI technology to market in the automotive industry, and dramatically improve driver safety and the in-cabin experience.
The VP of Engineering will have the responsibility for all aspects of managing Affectiva’s 20+ person engineering team, and leading it through significant anticipated growth in the coming years.
The VP of Engineering is a senior member of our executive leadership team. As the individual responsible for delivering our software products, this person provides a critical voice in influencing how Affectiva’s products will impact the automotive space.
- Demonstrated experience growing high-performance software product development teams to 50+ engineers
- Demonstrated experience bringing software products to market in the automotive industry, especially embedded software development, machine learning and using such automotive standards as
- Ability to identify and attract top engineering talent at both the individual contributor and leadership levels
- Flexibility to define processes that are supportive of the business’ needs while driving high productivity, predictability, and quality within engineering
- Experience delivering effective continuous build/test/release infrastructure to enable high velocity software artifacts
- Experience delivering highly automated quality assurance that minimizes human involvement and maximizes software engineer’s ownership of quality from the eyes of the customer/users
- Experience managing development teams through technical challenges that include:
- Performance challenges on embedded systems
- Automotive standards compliance
- Driving closure on issues that involve complex trade-offs
- Teaching teams how to finish on time with high quality standards
- Demonstrated aptitude and passion for communicating with a wide spectrum of people
- You must be able to listen, evangelize, and debate at the appropriate level, from customers to members of your team to your business colleagues to founder Dr. Rana el Kaliouby
- Familiar with these tools and technologies: C++ on embedded systems, Jenkins, Docker, Python, Machine Learning, Computer Vision, Deep Learning, Multi-core programing, and Multi-platform development
- Advanced degree in computer science or a related field is a plus but relevant work experience is ideal
- Prior early stage company experience a must
- Finally, strong leadership skills, but with a good dose of humility and a collaborative working style
Affectiva is an MIT Media Lab spin-off focused understanding human emotion. Our vision is that technology needs the ability to sense, adapt and respond to not just commands but also nonverbal signals. We are building artificial emotional intelligence (Emotion AI).
As you can imagine, such an ambitious vision takes an outstanding team with a strong desire to explore and innovate. We are growing our team to improve and expand our core technologies and help solve many unique and interesting problems focused around sensing, understanding and adapting to human emotion.
Our first technology measures human emotion through sensing and analyzing facial expressions. This technology is already being used commercially in a number of different verticals and use cases, and has been released to the public in the form of SDKs so that developers around the world can begin to use it to create a new breed of apps, websites and experiences.
- Full Time Position located in Downtown Boston
- Competitive Benefits Package including: Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-Term and Short-Term Disability
- 401K Matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Casual Startup office culture, collaborative office space
- Flexible work schedule
- Complimentary snacks and drinks, and weekly team lunch
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.