Data Acquisition Specialist
- Waltham, MA, MA
- Full Time
- Entry Level
About Smart Eye / Affectiva
Smart Eye is the global leader in Human Insight AI, technology that understands, supports and predicts human behavior in complex environments. Together with our subsidiaries Affectiva and iMotions, we are bridging the gap between humans and machines for a safe and sustainable future.
Today, our technology is embedded in next-generation vehicles, leading the way towards human-centric mobility through Driver Monitoring Systems and Interior Sensing solutions. Our Research Instruments offer unparalleled insights into automotive, aviation, assistive technology, behavioral science and many more fields.
Our subsidiary Affectiva is humanizing technology by pioneering Emotion AI, helping companies gain a deeper understanding of how consumers engage with their content, products and services, in automotive, media & entertainment, market research and beyond.
Our subsidiary iMotions provides the world’s leading biosensor software platform that synchronizes data streams in real time from multiple sensors.
Smart Eye was founded in 1999 and is headquartered in Sweden with offices in the US, UK, Germany, Denmark, Egypt, Singapore, China and Japan. A publicly traded company since 2016, our customers include NASA, Nissan, Boeing, Honeywell, Volvo, GM, BMW, Geely, Harvard University, over 1,300 research organizations around the world, 70% of the world’s largest advertisers and 28% of the Fortune Global 500 companies.
We’re looking for someone who can handle the technical challenges of multiple projects. Someone who is ready to get their hands dirty in the unique challenges that data collection can face in an exciting and expanding business.
You will be joining the Data Acquisition team, to help execute data collection protocols. Collections are either in-lab or in a vehicle instrumented with a variety of cameras, and other sensors. You will be responsible for the design, installation and upkeep of these systems. You will be facilitating successful completion of studies that involve interfacing directly with study participants (scheduling, logistical coordination, meeting and directing participants, verifying and capturing legal waivers and documentation, payouts, etc.) You may be asked to work non-traditional hours and weekends depending on deadlines and study specifics. You will work daily out of our Waltham Vehicle data lab and may be asked to work out of our Boston office occasionally. This is an in-person role.
You are a problem solver who can troubleshoot challenging technical situations. You are a people person with fantastic communication skills and strong attention to details and safety. You have executed or designed detailed data capture protocols during your coursework or professional work. You are interested in working for a cutting-edge AI company that is focused on machine learning to solve complex problems. You have a strong attention to detail, are highly organized and can work under tight deadlines, with a flexible schedule.
- Support local and global data collection efforts. This includes environment setup e.g. static lab/vehicle setups, building custom cables, fixtures for camera installations, soldering of PCBs but also protocol design, hardware troubleshooting, software configurations and participant logistics.
- Operate collection systems, monitor data quality
- Document protocol and collection environment setups
- Support debugging and corrective actions for HW & SW issues
- Support presentations and meetings with the project stakeholders
- Of course, run test participants through collection protocols
- Independency in solving problems in the field of electronics, mechanics, networks and data logging systems (e.g. 5 camera logging system in a vehicle or 8 camera logging system in a lab)
- Good understanding of network infrastructure and basic knowledge of electronics and mechanics
- Experience with testing environments and participant-based research studies
- Passionate about building stuff! e.g. adapting computer hardware, constructing camera fixture hardware
- Driver’s license
- As a person you are flexible with a lot of initiative and down to earth attitude
Nice to haves:
- Background in computer science e.g. Linux/Windows experience
- Experience with vehicle protocols and simulation tools – (e.g. CAN, LIN, Ethernet)
- Experience working on projects with global teams
- Experience with automotive cameras
- Basic knowledge of CAD e.g. Fusion360 or similar
- Basic understanding of Python and/or C++
Visit www.smarteye.ai for more information.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.