Affectiva is an MIT Media Lab spin-off and the leading provider of Human Perception AI: software that analyzes facial and vocal expressions to identify complex human emotional and cognitive states. Our vision is that technology needs to be able to sense, adapt and respond to people’s non-verbal signals, mental states, emotions and reactions, just the way humans do. We are humanizing technology!
Our patented AI software uses machine learning, deep learning, computer vision and speech science. Affectiva has built the world’s largest emotion data repository with over 7M faces analyzed in 87 countries. Affectiva is used by one fourth of the Fortune Global 500 for advertising testing and is now working with leading automotive OEMs and Tier 1s on next generation driver state monitoring and in-cabin mood sensing.
As you can imagine, such an ambitious vision takes a great team with a strong desire to explore and innovate. We are growing our team to improve and expand our core technologies and help solve many unique and interesting problems focused around sensing, understanding and adapting to human states. And, in building new products that never existed before, we are disrupting billion dollar industries such as advertising and automotive.
We are looking for a Technical lead on the Platform team, the team tasked with creating/maintaining Affectiva’s data pipelines and data platform. The Platform team will directly support our Machine Learning / Deep Learning Science Organization who will be your main internal clients. This will involve deep knowledge about efficient data pipelining, and transformation, in particular automated provisioning and monitoring of transient infrastructure. Efficiency, quality, and automation are paramount to keep the data flowing to those who depend on it.
We are looking for great candidates who will contribute ideas and want to help shape the future of this space, and can execute ideas effectively and efficiently. This position requires experience in leading an Engineering team to deliver high quality software.
- Work with other SW Engineering professionals in the company in order to determine needs for new software, platforms and applications
- Utilize tools, technology and various methodologies to create functional and intuitive solutions for desired products in addition to automating all existing pipelines.
- Develop and implement product specifications
- Emphasize system integration, sustainability and feasibility
- Manage all phases of technology development
- Technically oversee and supervise the work of the development team
- Guide and train developers and engineers
- Suggest and implement solutions for process improvement
- Adhere to all the requirements and guidelines for quality, security, extensibility etc.
Skills and Technologies:
- Core Languages: Python, SQL, Ruby on Rails
- Technologies : AWS Batch, Spark, Hive, EMR, Presto, Docker, Jenkins, Bitbucket
- Databases: RDS and MySQL
- AWS Experience
- OS: Linux
- Outstanding knowledge of software and application design and architecture
- A technical mindset and analytical approach
- Great attention to detail
- Good leadership skills
- The sense of ownership and pride in your performance and its impact on the company’s success
- Critical thinker and problem-solving skills
- Team player
- Good time-management skills
- Provide consistent support and direction to engineers on the Platform team, in alignment with product roadmap and milestones
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- Work closely with the Engineering Manager and Product Manager to achieve Platform monthly goals
- Flexible and collaborative
- Ability/willingness to travel
- MA in computer science, engineering or similar relevant field is a nice to have
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- At least 6+ years developing and maintaining large, distributed, highly available, highly scale-able, event driven architectures
- 3 years of experience as a Software Architect or similar role
- Migrating, transforming, and processing huge volumes of data at low cost
- Developing DAOs and APIs
- Extensive practical experience using a wide range of AWS technologies, including: S3, EC2s, Lambda, Step Functions, Glue, EMR, API Gateway
- Identifying and resolving bottlenecks and weaknesses in execution/process flows and pipelines
- Rule-based data processing
- Horizontal scaling
- Load balancing
- Logging and Monitoring of utilization and flows
- Managed individual Engineers on a day to day basis to provide technical guidance
- Have successfully worked with globally distributed teams
Other Useful Skills and Experience:
- AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner (Foundation) OR
- AWS Certified Developer (Associate)
- AWS Certified Big Data (Specialty)
Additional Information and Company Benefits:
- Full Time Position located in 5th settlement - New Cairo - Egypt
- Competitive Benefits Package including
- Social Insurance
- Casual Startup office culture, collaborative office space
- Flexible work schedule
- Complimentary snacks and drinks, and lunch provided once a week
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.