Affectiva is an MIT Media Lab spin-off and the leading provider of Human Perception AI: software that analyzes facial and vocal expressions to identify complex human emotional and cognitive states. Our vision is that technology needs to be able to sense, adapt and respond to people’s non-verbal signals, mental states, emotions and reactions, just the way humans do. We are humanizing technology!
Our patented AI software uses machine learning, deep learning, computer vision and speech science. Affectiva has built the world’s largest emotion data repository with over 7M faces analyzed in 87 countries. Affectiva is used by one fourth of the Fortune Global 500 for advertising testing and is now working with leading automotive OEMs and Tier 1s on next generation driver state monitoring and in-cabin mood sensing.
As you can imagine, such an ambitious vision takes a great team with a strong desire to explore and innovate. We are growing our team to improve and expand our core technologies and help solve many unique and interesting problems focused around sensing, understanding and adapting to human states. And, in building new products that never existed before, we are disrupting billion dollar industries such a advertising and automotive.
The automotive market is an exciting direction for Affectiva. This is where we are bringing our technology into next-generation vehicles, including semi-autonomous and autonomous, to improve driver safety and enhance the user experience.
This position is to lead a research team developing new models for assessing driver physiological and cognitive states, such as drowsiness and distraction. The ideal candidate will be passionate about leading teams of researchers to develop highly accurate behavioral models based on computer vision and machine learning. As the lead researcher, the ideal candidate will be required to work closely with the rest of the organization to ensure key requirements are understood and key deliverables are met.
This position will report to the VP of AI.
- Define and execute a research roadmap, in conjunction with key stakeholders
- Experiment with new modeling techniques, including both deep learning and traditional machine learning approaches
- Manage individual research scientists on a day to day basis: provide research as well as technical guidance
- Establish data requirements and best practices: create study design as well as annotation guidelines, review collected data to ensure quality.
- Communicate regularly with the project management team on research progress and including meeting key milestones and deliverables
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
- Strong development skills in Python and C/C++
- 6+ years of experience working with machine learning in embedded applications: model quantization, fixed point neural networks (CNN and RNN)
- Experience leading a team of scientists working on an applied research product
- Strong research and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and teamwork skills
Additional Information and Company Benefits:
- Full-Time Position located in Downtown Boston
- Competitive Benefits Package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Long-Term and Short-Term Disability
- 401K Matching
- Unlimited PTO
- Casual Startup office culture, collaborative office space
- Flexible work schedule
- Complimentary snacks, drinks, and weekly team lunch.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.