Paid Participant for Affectiva Study - Drowsiness
- Boston, MA
- Entry Level
Purpose: The purpose of this study is to collect data of participants in various stages of drowsiness while using our driving simulator, so that the data can be used to train AI models that can be deployed in future vehicles providing additional driver safety features. We expect you to be very sleepy.
PLEASE NOTE: Participants who elect to take part in our research studies must enter our lab. They must also be comfortable being recorded with no facial mask for part of the recording. Participants who DO NOT feel comfortable with these terms should not apply.
Compensation: $200 will be given via PayPal upon completion of the study. We will also cover up to $50 for transportation to/from the office. **Receipts must be provided**
53 State St FL 37
Boston, MA 02109
Requirements: Please note this study has two parts that must be completed in their entirety in order to participate.
Part 1: The first part you will complete at your own home during the overnight hours. ***You must complete all surveys within time limit***
- Adhere to a normal sleep schedule in the days before the study. Waking up at 9am the day prior to the study and staying awake the entire day and night until you come in.
- Must be available and willing to stay awake the night before the study and show up afterwards at Affectiva Headquarters to participate in the driving stimulator portion of the study.
- You are not to sleep 8 hours prior to your scheduled time slot or you will not be able to complete the study.
- Must have a working computer or smartphone to fill out the sleep deprivation surveys that are required every hour the night before.
Part 2: The second part is one and half hours in our downtown Boston lab in the early morning hours. ***Must not be under the influence of medications, alcohol, or other drugs/stimulates (including caffeine or cannabis)***
- Must be willing to be recorded via cameras and microphones during the study.
- Must have a valid drivers license
- Must be over 18 years of age
- Must have no sleep-related disorders
- Must not be under the influence of medications, alcohol, or other drugs that may impact the natural onset and offset of sleep
- Must not wear or have any head-gear, eye-patches, wear clothing that blocks the eyes or parts of the face, except regular eyeglasses
- Must not be on any beta-blockers or have a pacemaker
Type of Activity: In the overnight hours prior to your scheduled time slot, the participant is required to stay awake. Sleep deprivation surveys must be filled every hour during these hours (e.g. 12 am, 1 am, 2 am, etc). In order to elicit real drowsy behavior, participants in this study will then come to our headquarters and participate in our lab simulator where they will be required to drive. We require that you do not take any naps prior to the study to ensure we get the most accurate and realistic data. Being sleepy is exactly what we’re looking for! Participants must be comfortable being recorded by an array of cameras and audio recording from various microphones.
Date and Time:
- Required time commitment: Be fully available the night before the driving stimulator portion of the study
- Commitment to your scheduled study time is incredibly important to the success of the study. Please don't sign up, if not fully committed to participate.
- Please note that the sleep deprivation surveys are time stamped and are expected to be filled out within 25 minutes of receiving them. Participants who do not fill out the surveys at the time of which they are required to will be forbidden from completing the study and thus WILL NOT be compensated.
Background: Affectiva is an MIT Media Lab spin-off that developed emotion detection software currently being used in multiple industries including, healthcare (including autism, Parkinson’s, and depression), education, market research, and advertising, and last year Affectiva broke into the automotive industry focusing on driver safety.
Additional Information: This study requires a diverse group of participants including age, gender, ethnicity, beards, glasses, etc. The more diverse the data, the more accurate and inclusive the technology will be. Should you meet the requirements of the study, additional information will be provided.
Affectiva COVID-19 Statement: Due to the unprecedented public health crisis Affectiva is taking the steps to ensure the health and safety of all employees and those who take part in our research.
For the safety of you, Affectiva employees, other research participants, and the community at large we ask that you do NOT apply or schedule an appointment if you have tested positive for the Coronavirus (COVID-19), have symptoms or have come in contact with anyone who has. We will be happy to have your participation when it is safe to do so.
We cannot accept your participation if any of the following is true:
- If you, or anyone in your household, has tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the last 4 weeks
- If you, or anyone in your household is showing symptoms related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). These include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
- If you have come into contact with someone who has tested positive for Coronavirus (COVID-19) within the last 14 days.
- If you have come into contact with someone who has any of the above symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19) within the last 14 days.